The report (Database) Financial Analysis of 100 Major Lighting Manufacturers Worldwide is at its second edition. It is the result of CSIL processing of a dataset made up of balance sheets for a sample of 800 companies, including in the sample analysis manufacturers of lighting fixtures (688 players), lighting components (semi-finished products, lighting sources, 96 players) and lighting automotive (17 players).
The total sample analysed shows an average workforce of over 750 employees and an average turnover of over USD 120 million in 2017. In absolute terms: a 2017 turnover of about 97 billion USD, an EBIT in excess of 7 billion USD, almost half million of employees.
The Report is made up by a short executive summary (around 40 pages) and an Excel database of company financial data and sector average.
The purpose of this study is to assess the recent trends and structural characteristics of the lighting industry through the analysis of the balance sheets for the years 2013 to 2017 of a group of around 800 companies based worldwide and to identify, among them, the top 100 performing companies in the business (in terms of turnover, profitability and financial situation), named “Best in Class” and reported separately as Big (over 50 million USD turnover) and Small players.
The sample was selected according to the following criteria:
- availability of balance sheet data (consolidated and/or unconsolidated accounts);
- company turnover of over US$ 5 million in one of the years between 2013 and 2017;
- company’s core activity corresponding to one of the following NACE codes 2740: Manufacture of electric lighting equipment.
The report is structured as follows:
- Lighting sector performance. Analysis of Key financial data of 800 balance-sheet, for the period 2013-2017. Overview of the total sample in terms of turnover growth and turnover indicators, profitability, financial structure, employment and productivity.
- Analysis by geographical area. This chapter breaks down the sample of 800 companies by six geographical area, highlighting key financial data and ratios for each area.
- Analysis by lighting segment. Each company is classified according to its core activity. The following Lighting segments are identified: Lighting Fixtures, Lighting Components, Automotive Lighting.
- Analysis by company size. The sample of 800 companies was broken down by five turnover ranges, ranging from less than 10 million dollars, to over 900 million dollars during the last available year.
- Analysis of the “best in class” companies. 100 companies were selected from the sample of 800 companies, grouped in “Best in Class” big players and “Best in Class” small players.
- 2018 financial data. Performance analysis of a small sample of 30 companies for which some financial data 2018 are available.
- Annexed Excel Database. Financial tables on average lighting sector performance 2013-2017, based on the 800 companies’ sample; Companies’ “Best in Class” selected data (top 100 2017 players, “Big” and “Small”); Website, Stock Exchange reference, Holding data for 800 companies (when available); Operating revenue (Turnover) 2017 for the 800 companies’ sample, number of employees and EBITDA available for around 600 companies
Considered productivity/profitability indicators available from the balance sheets:
- Key financial data: Operating Revenue (Turnover), Added Value, P/L before Tax, Net Income, EBITDA, EBIT
- Turnover indicators: Total Assets, Shareholders Funds, Cash Flow
- Profitability ratios: Profit margin, ROE, ROA, EBITDA margin, EBIT margin
- Structure ratios: Current and Solvency ratio
- Employment data and per employees ratios: Number of Employees, Turnover per Employee, Added value per Employee, Average cost of employee, Costs of employees / Operating revenue.
Geographical coverage: Europe (319 companies), Japan and South Korea (208 companies), China (150 companies), Asia Pacific other (58 companies), Russia and neighbouring countries (39 companies), North and Latin America (27 companies).